You visit dermatologists for different reasons. It could be because of a rash, an unusual-looking mole, or a skin discoloration. Or perhaps, you’re interested in fillers and other injectables. But who do you make an appointment with? It will depend on your needs, whether you need medical or cosmetic care. And if you’re serious about skincare, you should be familiar with both aspects of dermatology. Fortunately, there is no need to hit a search engine to find different practices to cater to all your skincare needs.
Millburn Laser Center offers full-service dermatology in New Jersey. We combine years of expertise with the most innovative techniques. We are providing a full spectrum of dermatologic and cosmetic services that offer patients the safest, most advanced solutions to reaching all of their skin goals.
Cosmetic And Medical Dermatology –What’s the Difference?
The field of dermatology is divided into two branches –medical and cosmetic. Both camps provide invaluable service as they help patients improve the appearance of their skin while also ensuring that their skin is at optimum health. Cosmetic dermatology caters to patients looking to maintain their youthful appearance by reversing the signs of aging or wanting to make aesthetic changes or improvements to their skin. Cosmetic dermatology may include treatments such as:
- Dermal fillers
- Chemical peels
- Laser hair removal
- Laser rejuvenation and resurfacing
- Vein reduction
- Skin tightening
It’s purely aesthetic and based on want rather than a need. It’s a popular specialty too, and the statistics prove it. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, cosmetic physicians in the United States performed more than 17.7 million surgical and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures in 2018 (a 2% increase from 2017), and there were 15.9 million minimally invasive cosmetic procedures performed in 2018 (up 2%). With the increasing availability of emerging technology along with cutting-edge techniques and devices that provide safe and effective aesthetic treatments, it’s no wonder why there is a growing demand for it.
On the other side of the dermatology spectrum is Medical Dermatology. This discipline focuses on addressing medical conditions affecting the health and appearance of skin in patients. While cosmetic dermatologists put the spotlight on “desire,” medical dermatologists target the “disease” aspect of dermatology and solely treats skin ailments to reduce health risks. Aside from the recommended annual full-body skin cancer screening, these are the common issues addressed by a medical dermatologist:
Millburn Laser Center’s Multi-Purpose Treatments
At Millburn Laser Center, we want our patients to feel comfortable visiting us, knowing we can address any skin issue. All our board-certified dermatologists can diagnose medical and cosmetic conditions, and perform all consultations, procedures, and treatments themselves. All our patients enjoy the benefits from the availability of our innovative cosmetic and medical dermatology procedures while receiving superior personal evaluation and care.
In addition, we offer 25 different lasers to address any cosmetic skin concerns you may have.
- Fraxel Dual – a skin resurfacing laser that uses two wavelengths, allowing us to treat superficially (for pigmentation) and the deeper layer of the skin to target skin texture, delivering an effective skin rejuvenating and anti-aging treatment. Fraxel lasers can treat conditions such as fine lines, textural irregularities, acne, and surgical scars, age spots, pigmentation, and actinic keratosis.
- VBeam Laser – a pulsed dye laser that utilizes a focused wavelength of light to target the hemoglobin in blood vessels, producing thermal damage to the blood vessel walls without harming surrounding skin. This laser can treat facial redness, rosacea, facial and spider veins, port wine stains, red scars, keloids, cherry angiomas, acne scars, stretch marks, and vascular lesions.
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) – uses high-intensity pulses of light that penetrate down to the second layer of your skin (dermis) while leaving the surface of the skin (epidermis) unharmed and intact. It triggers the skin’s natural healing process, boosting collagen production and resulting in smoother, healthier skin. IPL is effective in treating skin conditions such as rough skin texture, sun damage (age spots, sun spots, and brown spots), freckles, rosacea, blood vessels, freckles, spider veins, hyperpigmentation (including melasma). IPL can also treat birthmarks, port wine stains, and seborrheic keratosis.
- PicoSure – uniquely delivers laser energy that is converted into gentle pressure waves, effectively initiating the skin’s natural healing response without heating or damaging the skin. With the increased production of elastin and collagen, healthy, youthful skin is restored. PicoSure can safely and effectively treat acne and surgical scars, melasma, birthmarks, stretch marks, benign pigmented lesions, and tattoos (all ink colors).
- Chemical Peels – the acid in the chemical peel will gently exfoliate the outer layer of your skin, instigating a natural wound-healing response that will trigger collagen and elastin production. Over time, your skin will remodel itself, creating new skin from the inside out. Skin becomes firmer and tighter with less visible pores. Depending on the strength, chemical peels can treat fine lines and wrinkles, brown spots, melasma, acne scars, benign lesions (actinic keratoses), deeper wrinkles, and creases.
- Microneedling – uses a dozen or more tiny needles to create micro pinpricks on your skin, initiating your body’s natural healing process and collagen production. Microneedling treatments can range from gold-plated needles that deliver serums to the skin, to Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy and radiofrequency (RF) energy to accelerate wound healing. As the skin rebuilds itself, various skin issues will be resolved, including fine lines and wrinkles, sagging skin, brown spots, melasma, creases, spider veins, acne scars, and large pores.
Would You Like To Have Beautiful and Healthy Skin?
Whether you’d like to rejuvenate your skin with an anti-aging treatment or address your acne and pigmentation concerns, Millburn Laser Center can help with its state-of-the-art, safe, and effective therapies –all tailored to your individual aesthetic and medical goals. To learn more about our treatments or to schedule a consultation at our New Jersey office today.