When you rejuvenate your face, neck, chest or hands with lasers, microneedling, chemical peels, injectable dermal fillers, or Botox, the last thing you want to do is re-damage your skin cells by exposing them to the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays, or by depriving them of the nutrients and hydration they need to grow strong, firm, and healthy.
At Millburn Laser Center in Millburn, New Jersey, our team of board-certified dermatologists help you understand how your skin replenishes itself and becomes stronger after rejuvenating treatments, and why your skin needs special treatment. They give you detailed aftercare instructions so that your skin gets the protection and hydration it needs to become fresher, more youthful, tighter, and firmer.
Skincare Products that Compliment a Cosmetic Procedure
While your skin may look a bit red and swollen directly after a laser rejuvenation, microneedling, or chemical peels, that’s the first step to beautiful, fresh, literally younger skin that appears in the next weeks to months. But just as muscles need the right nutrients to rebuild their protein fibers to be strong and elastic, your skin does, too. That’s why pre-care and aftercare are important components of laser resurfacing and rejuvenation.
ALASTIN Skin Care
Your Millburn Laser Center dermatologists recommend ALASTIN Skincare proprietary procedure-enhancement skin care both before and after any rejuvenating treatment. ALASTIN products are cruelty-free, paraben-free, and gluten-free. Pre-procedure treatment with the Alastin Procedure Enhancement System — strengthens skin before your rejuvenation, minimizes risk of damage, and supports the healing process. Your dermatologist will recommend using the kit for 14-30 days before lasers, microneedling, and strong chemical peels.
Some components of procedure enhancement include:
- Regenerating Skin Nectar with TriHex Technology® —helps clear out damage and debris in skin to aid in collagen remodeling; supports skin as it rebuilds new collagen and elastin; subdues redness and inflammation.
- Gentle Cleanser — removes surface debris without stripping skin of essential, protective oils
- Ultra Nourishing Moisturizer with TriHex Technology® — moisturizes and hydrates tender, treated sin
- Soothe and Protect Recovery Balm (for laser, microneedling, and chemical peel recovery) — highly emollient formulation to moisturize and soothe skin directly after skin resurfacing treatments. Hydrates tender, treated skin while restoring skin’s barrier function. Aids in skin renewal.
Your dermatologists will recommend the right Alastin before- and after-care products for you based on the type of procedure you’re having.
The Post Treatment Process and Sun Damage
Another caveat after a laser, microneedling, or injectable treatment is to avoid the sun as much as you can and protect yourself heavily whenever you need to go outdoors. Your Millburn Laser Center dermatologists recommend avoiding the sun between 10 am and 4 pm. If you must go outdoors, protect your skin with:
- Wide-brimmed hat
- Sun glasses
- Sunscreen of SPF 30 or more reapplied every 2 hours
At Millburn Laser Center we recommend:
- Alastin Broad Spectrum SPF 30+ Sunscreen — water resistant, colorless sunscreen with antioxidants and moisturizers. Use directly after laser, microneedling, and injectable treatments to protect your skin from UVA/UVB rays.
- Alastin HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36 — contains a universal tint enhances most complexions. Protects against sun damage and pollutants.
Using the right products on your skin is vital before or after a procedure. Taking care of your skin is a continuous process, and at Millburn Laser we understand the causes of aging skin and how to combine products and treatments to stop it.
Why Your Skin Ages And How to Stop It
As you age and are exposed to the sun’s damaging UVA and UVB rays, your skin literally begins to break down. The firm, strong strands of collagen that make up the support system of your skin weaken and fray, resulting in skin that sags and bags. And since your body produces less collagen than it did when you were younger, it doesn’t flush away the old collagen and replace it with new strands.
Your skin loses another essential protein that accompanies collagen: elastin. Elastin is responsible for giving your skin flexibility, so it can retain its shape after pulled or pushed into expressions. Without elastin, your skin begins to wrinkle and takes longer to recover after you handle it. Finally, your skin also loses fat over time, which is why your cheeks aren’t as fully and ripe as they used to be.
How Laser Resurfacing Rebuilds Skin
Laser rejuvenation turns all of the above on its head. You know that you can’t build good, strong, new muscle without tearing down existing muscle. The same is true for your skin. Laser rejuvenation works by deliberately creating controlled wounds on the surface and in the deeper layers of your skin, triggering your body’s wound-healing, skin-rebuilding, and collagen-remodeling processes.
When you get a laser treatment, the controlled heat warms up your skin layers enough to create microwounds that trigger your body’s healing response. After your treatment, your body sends increased blood to your face, neck, or hands to whisk away old collagen and elastin. Simultaneously, the increased circulation floods your skin with healing components, such as platelets and the growth factors they contain. Little by little, over a 3-6 month period, your skin repairs and replaces damaged collagen and elastin with new, strong, flexible proteins that make your skin:
- More evenly toned
- Free of surface brown spots
- Less wrinkled
Because your skin has rebuilt itself after your laser treatment, it’s literally younger. The laser floods your skin with the components it needs to look, feel, and act more youthful.
Millburn Laser Center Offers Multiple Laser Treatment Options
- Fraxel Dual® — treats wrinkles, fine lines, brown spots, large pores, and scarring. After your 30-minute treatment, you’ll have a red, swollen face for a couple of days and flaking for about a week, but start to see and feel improved skin within 7-10 days. Your skin continues to improve and tighten for about 3-6 months.
- VBeam® — is a pulse dye laser that targets hemoglobin in skin to eliminate visible veins, brown spots, red patches (e.g., rosacea), stretch marks, birthmarks, and warts. Treatments are just 15 minutes; most people need a series of treatments to completely transform their skin.
- Tattoo removal – using directed energy to remove tattoo ink over a series of treatments.
- hair removal — laser’s energy is directed to pigment in unwanted hair . Usually takes a series of 6 or more treatments to remove tattoos and unwanted hair.
How Microneedling, PRP, and chemical peels rebuild skin
If you opt for a microneedling treatment with platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP), your dermatologist creates controlled wounding with a series of very thin, sterile, single-use needles instead of heat to stimulate your body’s skin-rebuilding and collagen remodeling responses.
When you add PRP to microneedling, your skin gets an extra dose of platelets and growth factors to aid in the collagen remodeling process. Over the next weeks to months, your skin becomes stronger, firmer, and clear of brown spots and visible veins. To learn more, visit ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Chemical peels are a quick and easy way to rejuvenate your skin. Variable strengths of acid are brushed onto your skin to peel away old, dead skin cells and reveal fresh new skin underneath. The chemical peel process also stimulates the production of new collagen and elastin to make your skin stronger and firmer as it heals over the next weeks to months. Some peels have no downtime at all; your skin looks immediately younger and more glowing after your 30-minute treatment.
How injectables restore your youth
You can add injectables to a laser treatment or microneedling with PRP, use just one as a standalone treatment, or combine several for a liquid facelift. At Millburn Laser Center, our dermatologists help you choose from:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers — Using products from Restylane and Juevederm, fillers replace volume in cheeks and midface, fills in large creases around the nose and mouth, smooths out deep wrinkles, minimizes perioral lines, rejuvenates and plumps lips, and fills in under eye circles. The HA fillers last from 6-18 months.
- Neuromodulators — Botox contains a protein that stops the nerves in your muscles from receiving the signal to contract. Your doctor injects Botox into your forehead and around your eyes to resolve 11s, forehead furrows, crow’s feet and other facial wrinkles. Botox lasts for 3-4 months.
Schedule a consultation at our Millburn medical spa today!
You don’t need a consult to talk with one of our skincare experts about which products may be right for you. To find out how to get more from your laser, microneedling, chemical peel, or injectable rejuvenation with proper pre- and after-care, contact our skin care clinic today.