When most people think of acne, they picture hormonal teenagers navigating the challenges of puberty. But for many men and women, acne doesn’t magically vanish once they reach adulthood. In fact, it may even get worse. Acne is more than a cosmetic concern for those who experience it on a regular basis. It can be painful, uncomfortable, and — in some cases — a symptom of an underlying medical condition.
At Millburn Laser Center in Millburn, New Jersey, our board-certified dermatologists understand that there’s no one-size-fits-all treatment for acne. We take a multimodality approach to acne treatment that encompasses topical solutions, chemical peels, laser skin resurfacing, and more.
Best Skincare Routine for Acne
While the best skincare routine for acne varies depending on your skin and type of acne, there are a few steps you can take to reduce acne at home:
Cleanse twice a day.
You should only wash your face twice a day, even if you have oily skin. Cleansing too often strips your skin of essential moisture, which can trigger breakouts.
Another common misconception about acne is that too much moisture will make your skin more oily. Unless instructed otherwise by your Millburn, New Jersey dermatologist, you should always moisturize after cleansing your skin.
Avoid abrasive exfoliants.
While high-quality exfoliants gently remove dead skin cells to brighten your skin, harsh exfoliants can irritate and inflame acne.
Stop popping and picking.
Popping and picking at your pimples not only aggravates acne, it can also increase scarring and other skin damage.
Acne Treatment Options
At Millburn Laser Dermatology, our board-certified dermatologists take a comprehensive approach to acne treatment. Depending on the type and severity of your acne, your dermatologist may recommend one or more of the following:
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Available as an over-the-counter medication, it comes in the form of a face wash or leave-on gel that targets the skin’s surface bacteria.
- Retinoids: Vitamin A derivatives that are available over-the-counter. It prevents clogged pores and the formation of new acne bumps.
- Antibiotics: Can be applied to the skin or taken orally to control the skin’s surface bacteria, which aggravates skin inflammation.
- Chemical peel: An acidic solution (alpha or beta hydroxy acid) is applied to the skin. It exfoliates the skin by destroying dead skin cells while unclogging pores to make way for new skin to regenerate, allowing acne blemishes and scars to fade.
- Dermabrasion: A diamond wheel or wire brush removes layers of the skin and causes new, healthy skin to grow back. It treats acne and acne scars by evening out the skin’s texture and color.
- Laser skin resurfacing: Beams of light or infrared rays remove the top layer of the skin, break down dead skin cells, and stimulate collagen production.
Schedule an Acne Treatment Consultation With a Dermatologist
Are you ready to get rid of acne once and for all? If you have tried numerous methods to clear your skin and are still struggling with persistent acne, now is the right time to consult with a board-certified dermatologist at Millburn Laser Center in Millburn, New Jersey. Contact us at 973-315-8590 today to start your journey to clear, beautiful skin.
Next, read about...
Trusted by Thousands
We are honored so many residents of Millburn and central New Jersey choose us as their family dermatologist.
"From the moment I walked into the practice I was impressed!"
"Millburn laser center and dermatology office are great!"
"The team of professional dermatologists helped guide me."
Associates In Dermatology
Millburn Laser Center
12 East Willow Street
Millburn, NJ 07041
Based on 1834 reviews