Eczema, rashes, psoriasis or bumps on your face or skin may make you feel self-conscious about your appearance. At Millburn Laser Center in New Jersey, our board-certified dermatologists specialize in medical dermatology and can help find the cause for your skin condition and customize therapies to help improve the appearance of your skin.
Acne is a “multifactorial disease,” which is a fancy way of saying it has a lot of moving parts. Acne is typically associated with the teen years but can appear throughout your lifetime. Hormone fluctuations can affect acne, which is why women often break out — sometimes for the first time — during pregnancy, perimenopause, and menopause.
Some ways to minimize acne breakouts are:
- Keeping your face clean (washing twice a day)
- Normalizing hormonal balance with oral contraceptives or anti-androgens (females)
- Light therapy or antibiotics to kill skin bacteria
- Chemical peels or microneedling to encourage skin cell turnover
- Topical therapies and retinoids to encourage skin-cell turnover
- Laser therapy to increase overall skin quality and improve the health of follicles
- Extraction of lesions
- Steroid injections for cystic or nodular acne
- Oral isotretinoin in severe cases (males and or females in non-childbearing years only)
Each case of acne is unique. Millburn Laser Center’s expert dermatologists take the time to evaluate your skin, determine the underlying cause for your acne, and custom-design a treatment plan for you. For more details about acne, visit medlineplus.gov.
Eczema and Psoriasis
Eczema and psoriasis are skin conditions that cause itchy and sometimes painful patches on your skin. Eczema tends to appear in areas where that bend, such as your inner arm near your elbow, or behind your knees. Psoriasis tends to affect your elbows, knees, scalp, face, and more. While psoriasis can be red, like eczema, white or silvery looking flaky patches may develop as well.
At Millburn Laser Center, our dermatologists can diagnose your skin condition, so you can know whether you have eczema or psoriasis. Either way, these two skin conditions share many effective treatments, including:
- Topical emollients to soothe dry and itchy skin
- Topical steroids to control inflammation
- UVB light therapy to improve symptoms and skin quality
- Immunologic or biologic medications
Therapy with UVB light also helps your body produce more Vitamin D, which can improve your overall health. UVB light is an advanced treatment that helps suppress overactive skin immune system cells that cause inflammation, which can lead to a breakout.
Schedule a Medical Dermatology Consultation at Millburn Laser Center!
16 million Americans suffer from skin conditions. You don’t have to feel self-conscious about lumps, bumps, or discolored patches on your skin anymore. Whether you have a common condition such as acne, or an uncommon one such as vitiligo, we can help with state-of-the-art, safe, and effective therapies. Call us today or use the online form to book a medical dermatology consultation at Millburn Laser Center.
Next, read about...
Trusted by Thousands
We are honored so many residents of Millburn and central New Jersey choose us as their family dermatologist.
"From the moment I walked into the practice I was impressed!"
"Millburn laser center and dermatology office are great!"
"The team of professional dermatologists helped guide me."
Associates In Dermatology
Millburn Laser Center
12 East Willow Street
Millburn, NJ 07041
Based on 1834 reviews