Dermal fillers are powerful cosmetic injectable treatments that restore volume, achieve contouring and symmetry, and smooth the skin for a natural and more youthful appearance. Injectable dermal fillers like Restylane® are effective lip fillers that can add volume and shape and reduce lines.
How to reduce swelling after lip fillers?
Swelling after lip fillers is normal and should dissipate within one to two days. Patients can reduce swelling after injection with these tips:
- Use a cold compress on the lips for approximately 10 minutes four times a day for the first day following the procedure only.
- Elevate your head when sleeping or resting to reduce blood flow to the lips.
- Drink lots of water to avoid increased inflammation and help your body heal naturally.
- Arnica can be taken in tablet form to reduce swelling and promote healing.
How much swelling is normal after lip fillers?
Swelling and bruising after lip fillers is a common side effect many patients experience. Dermal fillers with hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body, attach to water in the skin and can lead to swelling and puffiness until the solution settles and the body rebalances. Swelling should be limited to the treatment area, which may look puffy and feel tender.
When does swelling go down after lip fillers?
Most patients can expect swelling to dissipate within one to two days after injection. Severe swelling, bruising and pain can indicate more significant issues and should be immediately reported to your board-certified dermatologist. Be on the lookout for:
- Swelling that occurs longer than a week after treatment
- Excessive pain or redness
How to prevent swelling after lip fillers?
You can prevent swelling after lip fillers with these tips:
- Skip strenuous activity: Strenuous activities like intense workouts can increase blood pressure and cause visible swelling around the lips. Avoid strenuous activity 24-48 hours after a treatment to prevent swelling.
- Steer clear of high temperatures: Warmer temperatures can heat blood vessels and can increase or prolong lip swelling. Try to avoid hot showers, saunas, hot beverages, and direct sun exposure 24-48 hours after a lip injection.
- Avoid alcohol: Drinking alcohol after an injection can think the blood and cause swelling in the lips. It would be best to avoid other blood thinners like Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Motrin.
- No straws: Puckering the lips and activating the muscles around the mouth to use a straw can cause swelling after lip fillers. Drink out of a glass or mug without a straw to help prevent swelling after lip filler.
- Forego lip balm: Using makeup products like lipstick or lip gloss after dermal lip fillers can increase adverse reactions and lead to swelling. Use natural products and moisturizers for your lips to prevent irritation and swelling.
Lip fillers in Millburn, NJ
Millburn Laser Dermatology is a premiere dermatology center in Millburn, New Jersey. The stunning center has more than 25 treatment rooms designed for the ultimate patient experience. Our highly trained, board-certified dermatologists provide custom treatment plans to help patients achieve individual goals and eliminate cosmetic and medical concerns.
Our comprehensive treatments include expert injections by our physicals to ensure precise placement and natural results. Contact us to schedule a consultation and learn more about lip filler treatments.